Monday 21 July 2014

War against melasma!!!





What is melasma?

It is an ANNOYING tan or dark skin discoloration. Although it can affect anyone, melasma is particularly common in women, especially pregnant women and those who are taking oral or patch contraceptives or hormone replacement therapy (HRT) medications. It is also prevalent in men and women of Native American descent (on the forearms) and in men and women of German, Russian, and Jewish descent (on the face).


What causes melasma?



The exact cause of melasma remains unknown. Experts believe that the dark patches in melasma could be triggered by several factors, including pregnancy, birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy (HRT and progesterone), family history of melasma, race, antiseizure medications, and other medications that make the skin more prone to pigmentation after exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. Uncontrolled sunlight exposure is considered the leading cause of melasma, especially in individuals with a genetic predisposition to this condition. Clinical studies have shown that individuals typically develop melasma in the summer months, when the sun is most intense. In the winter, the hyperpigmentation in melasma tends to be less visible or lighter.
When melasma occurs during pregnancy, it is also called chloasma, or "the mask of pregnancy." Pregnant women experience increased estrogen, progesterone, and melanocyte-stimulating hormone (MSH) levels during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. However, it is thought that pregnancy-related melasma is caused by the presence of increased levels of progesterone and not due to estrogen and MSH. Studies have shown that postmenopausal women who receive progesterone hormone replacement therapy are more likely to develop melasma. Postmenopausal women receiving estrogen alone seem less likely to develop melasma.
In addition, products or treatments that irritate the skin may cause an increase in melanin production and accelerate melasma symptoms.
People with a genetic predisposition or known family history of melasma are at an increased risk of developing melasma. Important prevention methods for these individuals include sun avoidance and application of extra sunblock to avoid stimulating pigment production. These individuals may also consider discussing their concerns with their doctor and avoiding birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy (HRT) if possible.


My Story


It all started about five years ago. I looked at the mirror and noticed a tiny brown patch on my right cheek. At first, I kind of ignored it but after a while I noticed another damn brown patch on my upper lip and I started to freak out! That was just the tip of a huge iceberg... I had no idea I had melasma until I decided to see a derm. The first physician told me to buy a gel and use it twice a day. But HE did not tell me I should wear a good physical sunscreen on my face. As a result, as the years went by, it just got worse and worse, especially during the summer. 

Melasma has not only affected me physically but also psychologically. I became anti-social, depressive and used to avoid planning any activity that would include the word SUN. As a result,  made me feel even more depressive  because I was not getting enough Vitamin D. 

But after a while, I decided I wanted my social life back! Since then, I have been  doing a lot of research and trying different products to see what really works. I am happy I could get my melasma under control. Today I can say that even though the battle is not quite won yet, I have won many fights against melasma.

I started this blog so that we can fight this war together!!! I will be sharing with you all the tricks I use to keep my melasma under control. 

I am really glad I can get to share it with you. This works for me and I hope it works for you too.



No comments:

Post a Comment